Benjamin Franklin once said, “When the wells dry, we know the worth of water.” Water is quite literally the source of all life; it is mysterious in its ways yet soft and flexible. It is inorganic, transparent, tasteless, odourless, and nearly colourless, yet it is vital to all life.
Studies show that women need to drink 2.2 litters a day while men need 3 litters. The difference is since men, on average, have more fat-free body mass and higher expenditure of energy. Because it is important to hydrate the body frequently, it is also a good idea to be doing so with the water that is the best for the body. Not all water, however, is the same. There are different types of water, with varying sources and minerals.
Types of Water
- Mineral - Mineral water comes from natural underground reservoirs and mineral springs, giving it a higher mineral content than tap water. Unlike tap water, mineral water is bottled at the source. Some people prefer mineral water due to its perceived purity and the lack of chemical disinfection treatments. However, mineral water may undergo some processing. Mineral Water vs Tap Water.
- Spring - Spring water that is bottled at the source and proven to be actual living spring water. It is important to check the authenticity of spring water. Springwater provides much-needed oxygen to the body and the brain, aids in good digestion, helps us maintain a healthy weight, and tastes great. Springwater never tastes flat or boiled.
- Flavoured - A category of beverage marketed as water that contains an array of additional ingredients, including natural and artificial flavours, sugar, sweeteners, vitamins, minerals, and other “enhancements.” Most enhanced waters have fewer calories than similarly sized non-diet soft drinks.
- Alkaline - You may have heard various health claims about alkaline water. Some say it can help slow the aging process, regulate your body’s pH level, and prevent chronic diseases like cancer. Alkaline water has a higher pH level than regular drinking water. Because of this, some advocates of alkaline water believe it can neutralize the acid in your body. You can read more about Alkaline Water here.
- Distilled - Distilled water is steam from boiling water that has cooled and returned to its liquid state. Some people claim distilled water is the purest water you can drink. Distilling rids water of all impurities. It also removes more than 99.9% of the minerals dissolved in water. Distilled water is safe to drink. But you will probably find it flat or bland.
Popular Water Brands in India
- Manikchand Oxyrich Mineral Water
- Himalayan Mineral Water
Water is extremely vital to our survival; however, it has also become scarce day by day. Being conscious of your usage and drinking from healthy sources is also important. Water can be a carrier for different diseases, drinking from a hygienic source is extremely important.
In the end, one should always remember to always carry water, you never know where you will end up. And always keep hydrating!